June Advisors Group

Required Supporting Documents for Application

What are the documents that you need to prepare before applying for a visa (status of residence)?

The documents you need to submit are generally the same within the same group category of visas (status of residence). For a working visa (status of residence), you will need to submit :

  • Application form
  • Contract with your employer, letter of appointment, invitation letter, or any other documents to prove your activities, position, salary, period of time you will need to stay in Japan, etc.
  • Registry Certificate (Tokibo Tohon) of the company who employs you in Japan
  • The Company's most recent financial statements (Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss statement)
  • The Company's withholding tax report
  • Description of the company's activities (brochure, catalogues, printed web pages...)
  • Your CV/resume
  • Certificates of degree, certified transcripts, certificates of diploma, training, awards or qualifications
  • Documents to prove your previous working experience (letters from your former employers, etc.)
  • Portrait photo (3cmx4cm)

There could be other necessary documents depending on each individual case.

For a visa renewal, you will also need a certificate of employment (zaishoku shomei sho) and your personal, most recent tax payment certificate (nozei shomei sho) issued by the local city hall/ward office.

For a visa granted according to your family status (Spouse of Japanese National, Long Term Resident...) :

  • Application form
  • Documents proving your relation based on which your visa will be granted, such as Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate, Family Registry (Koseki), Resident certificate (Juminhyo)...
  • Letter of Guarantee
  • Questionnaire (for Spouse of Japanese national)
  • Documents to prove your income (Certificate of employment and the most recent tax payment certificate). If you don't work, you will need such documents from the person who supports you financially, or other documents such as your bank statements showing enough savings.

There are also other required documents such as family photos (in case of spouse visa) or a list of family members, certificate of criminal record (in case of 3rd generation Nikkei applicants) etc.

All the documents written in foreign languages must be translated into Japanese.

If you have any other documents that could work on your favor, you can also add them even if they are not mentioned on the list.

In many cases, it is recommended to write a statement (in Japanese) explaining why you need to obtain, change or renew your visa (status of residence).

Even if it's not required, submitting such statement helps Immigration understand your situation better, and possibly increases your chance of getting a visa (status of residence).

It is often a good idea to ask a professional like us to write such letter, as it requires a profound knowledge in Immigration Law and in Immigration's policies.

Once you have chosen the type of visa that best suits your case, you will need to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (if you don't live in Japan under a long term visa yet).

Certified as Immigration Lawyers by the Japan Immigration Office, we can help you with obtaining an appropriate visa and with other immigration procedures.

For more information, click here.

Visa and Immigration Procedure in Japan

Setting Up Business in Japan
Business Consulting Services in Japan