June Advisors Group

Transferring Employees from an Overseas Entity to the Japan Office

When a foreign company wishes to send an employee to Japan without having a hosting structure in Japan, it is firstly required to set up at least a representative office. To do this, there is no registration procedure required, but it is necessary to have a dedicated/physical office space.

It is then possible to apply for the "Intra-Company Transferee" visa if the visa applicant has worked more than one year at the overseas company that is sending you to Japan.

If the applicant hasn't worked long enough for your company to apply for the Intra-Company Transferee visa, it's still possible to get other visa such as "Engineer / Specialist in Humanities and International Services" if the applicant satisfies the requirements.

However a representative office doesn't allow you to engage in the commercial activities in Japan and can only sponsor one work visa, so you might like to consider setting up a branch office or a subsidiary depending on the company's intended activities in Japan.

If the visa applicant becomes the Representative Director of a Japanese subsidiary, the appropriate visa status to ask for is "Investor / Business Manager" visa.

Certified as Immigration Lawyers by the Japan Immigration Office, we can help you with obtaining an appropriate visa and with other immigration procedures.

For more information, click here.

Visa and Immigration Procedure in Japan

Setting Up Business in Japan
Business Consulting Services in Japan